Hello October,

I have missed you (as much as one can miss a month at least). This year marks the return of 31 Days of Halloween, a journey I started last year which chronicles the everyday musings of this whimsical season. A new year marks new changes for this season’s passage. This year I’m working and will have less time for extravagant ventures, tho I still plan on eating myself into a sugar coma, dressing up, and seeking out all kinds of thrills. They will just be less frequent (I know, I know, try and stifle the tears). However, everyday will still be filled with something to celebrate my favorite month whether it be a story, poem, a recipe, or an adventure. With that being said, let the festivities begin :)

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Day 15

Halloween Dance


I love Halloween (duh). I love to dance. Combining the two was day 15 this year when I went to a Halloween dance put on by my church's YSA group. And what did I go as you might be wondering? I went as Sally from "The Nightmare Before Christmas!" It's no secret from those who really know me how much I love Jack and Sally and that whole movie. And when my ambitious plans to go as x-men characters with my friends fell through at the last minute, Sally's song kept playing in my mind (literally it was stuck in my head all the night before). It was the perfect alternative. Alas I didn't have the costume and wouldn't have bought one if I could. I found that all the Sally costumes available for purchase to be too bright and cartoonish for who Sally really is. So the day of the party my mother and I went out for the hunt, for anything that I could morph into my favorite "rag doll." Goodwill and Johann's provided neat finds for a base dress and fabrics that I intended to sow onto it. I only had a few hours to put it together so I didn't get to perfect it as much as I would have liked. But everyone really seemed to love my realistic interpretation (I don't mean to brag but I was quite impressed with myself!). Here's how it all went down:

All I did for the make up was combine white and blue face paint and applied it all over my body. I used liquid eyeliner for stitching and applied fake doll lashes to my top eyelids.
Everyone's costumes were fantastic!


Scenes from inside the amazing homemade haunted house...

  ...and it's scary scarers

The friends and family...

                           













And yes we like to dance!

 

At the end of the night we went to out to dinner. Costumes and all :)


Song of the Day: Danny Elfman "Sally's Song"

No comments:

Post a Comment