Hello October,

I have missed you (as much as one can miss a month at least). This year marks the return of 31 Days of Halloween, a journey I started last year which chronicles the everyday musings of this whimsical season. A new year marks new changes for this season’s passage. This year I’m working and will have less time for extravagant ventures, tho I still plan on eating myself into a sugar coma, dressing up, and seeking out all kinds of thrills. They will just be less frequent (I know, I know, try and stifle the tears). However, everyday will still be filled with something to celebrate my favorite month whether it be a story, poem, a recipe, or an adventure. With that being said, let the festivities begin :)

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Day 9

Discover the History of Halloween

Oh my goodness, I'm a such a big fan of vintage things. Always have been since I was little (I blame Elvis for this. That makes more sense if you know the story.) And let me tell ya, the vintageness of Halloween, or "classic" Halloween as I like to call it, is no exception. I much prefer pumpkin patches, leaf piles, and corn mazes over costumes and candy (and that is saying something because boy do I ever love candy!). It's part of the lure that I wrote about on day 6. It's only fitting to divulge into what makes Halloween what it is. Call it the true meaning of Halloween if you will (much like the true meaning of Christmas...except not really, because the true meaning of Christmas is Jesus, which is more or less not really related to Halloween at all...unless of course you were an angel or something for Halloween...but then again, the origins of Halloween are quite spiritual actually, and not in a evil way like you may think, but in a good way for the people at the time, which I guess makes it somewhat similar in a religious sense...okay I've rambled).
Anyhow...
Halloween actually comes from the term "All Hallows Eve" dating back to old Celtic pagan traditions honoring the dead and celebrating the change of seasons. It's an interesting history that is worth a good read. Check out the links for more:

Song of the Day: Santana "Black Magic Woman"

No comments:

Post a Comment